Which Sofas Last the Longest?
Sofa is one of the main furniture items in a living room. It is also the most used piece of furniture. Every now and then you would sit on it, no matter if you enjoy your favorite TV show, eat meals or drink coffee. So, it has to be the most durable furniture item as well. What makes a sofa durable? The most important thing is the fabric and material used to manufacture it. Here we look at some of the types of sofas and know their advantages and drawbacks!
Pros and Cons of Natural Fabrics Sofas
- It is quite durable and tight weave would hold up for years of endless use
- Natural fabric sofas are available in endless colors, patterns and weaves
- Most natural fabrics are free of dyes and synthetic chemicals
- They are cheap and come within budget for many
- Preferred by most people in the UK
- However, these sofas are susceptible to damage from moisture and sunlight
- If not treated properly with flame retardants, they are easily flammable
- Cotton and linen can wrinkle and soil in case not sprayed with stain-resistant products
- Silk looks luxurious but requires more detailed cleaning
- Natural fibers are more delicate than leathers, synthetics and other materials
Pros and Cons of Synthetic Fabric Sofas
- Synthetic fabric sofas resist fading and stains and offer more durability
- They can be combined with natural fibers for a stronger weave
- They can resist claws of pets in an efficient manner
- They can be woven to emulate the appearance of natural fibers
- Olefin is the cheapest and strongest synthetic of all
- Acetate may fade, wrinkle and attract soil
- Low quality synthetics may pill in case of constant abrasion
- Be prepared for shocks because synthetics can perpetuate electricity
- Oily stains are almost impossible to be removed on synthetic material sofas
Pros and Cons of Leather Sofas
- Leather sofas are easily dyed to get more exotic color combinations
- Leather can be extremely durable and lasts longer than all other sofas
- Leather can be maintained and cleaned quite easily. Just wipe it with a wet cloth to clean all the stains
- Leather sofas don’t absorb odors and smells
- Leather is a gorgeous material and aesthetically pleasing to give your living room an upscale appearance
- If ripped, leather sofas are hard to repair
- Leather couches are usually pretty expensive
- Disreputable sofa makers may not use quality leather types to reduce cost
- Leather can be sticky and hot at times
- Oils can transfer easily so it is challenging to keep the surface clean.
Which Lasts the Longest?
Among all these types of sofas, leather sofas and couches last the longest. Apart from it being hard to repair when ripped, it is easy to maintain in case of stains. Also, leather is a durable and sturdy material that makes the sofas last longer than others. Most importantly, leather couches are inexpensive and look quite gorgeous. So, if you are keen to get a durable sofa that lasts longer, make sure to get a leather sofa!