Chairs are probably the most important furniture items used all over the world. They are used everywhere, both at homes and offices. They are used for relaxation as well as for performing professional duties. They have an elevated surface supported by four legs, arms rest along with a back. Some of the chairs have three legs and different designs.
The chairs which don't have an arms rest and back support are known as stools. The stools with elevated heights are known as bar stools. Chairs are also fixed on various modes of transport like buses, trains and bicycles. Though chairs are generally meant for one person, but some special chairs like sofa and bench are used for more than one person. They are generally made from various types of wood, metal and leather items.
Some of the most popular chairs are:
• Dining chairs- These chairs are meant to be used along with the dining table. These chairs have similar designs that are engraved on the dining table or have complementary designs. These chairs are made of a variety of materials like wood, leather etc. The contemporary leather dining chairs are well known for their durability and can last for a life time. Dining tables are also used for home decoration and social gatherings.
• Beach chairs- These chairs are specially designed for tourists who want to relax on the beach. These chairs are meant for two people and have inclining tops. They also have foot rests and arm rests. Their basic purpose is to offer protection to tourists from natural elements like rain, sun, sand and wind along with relaxation.
• Club chairs- These chairs are mostly constructed from sheep's leather and have a unique shape and design. These chairs are extremely comfortable due to their low back shape. They also have high arm rests on both sides. These chairs were used extensively at the gentlemen's clubs in England during the good old days of the late 19 th century. In the modern context, these tables are generally used at luxurious hotels and homes of elite class people.
• Office chairs- These chairs are specifically designed for people working in offices. These chairs are also referred to as desk chairs as they are used alongside a desk. These chairs have diverse characteristics like revolving wheels and flexible height. The wheels allow ease in mobility. Some of the office chairs also offer adjustable arm rest height and reclining back posture. Working professionals have to spend about one third of their day sitting on these chairs while performing their tasks. So these chairs must be extremely comfortable.
• Wheel chairs- These chairs are meant for people who are unable to walk due to reasons like illness and injury. These chairs are either run manually or by motors. They have handles behind the seats which can be used by another person for pushing the chair. These chairs can run by the user himself or by another person. These chairs are made from metal and leather.
© 2007 - 2020 Furniture in Fashion